The holidays bring to mind treats of all kinds… from sugar plums to candy canes! I know Santa loves his cookies and milk, but one of the best treats that I’ve had is a peppermint ice cream cake. Peppermint is a taste that is common during the holiday season. What better way then to make a cake out of it? This is also a perfect dessert to make when expecting company because it’s easy to make and can feed the whole family. Spice it up by adding crushed peppermint on top or write a special message with icing!
Layer 1: Crust
- 24 crushed Oreos
- ½ stick of butter melted
- combine and press it in 9x13 dish and freeze
Layer 2: Ice Cream
- ½ gallon of peppermint ice cream soften. Spread it over the frozen oreo crust
Layer 3: Fudge
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- Small package of semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 small can of evaporated milk
- ½ stick of butter
Cook over medium heat until all ingredients are melted and blended. Cool then spread it over frozen ice cream
Layer 4: Whipped Cream
- Spread whipped cream over the chilled fudge and return it to the freezer.
- You can use any flavor ice cream for this perfect treat.
There are many other favorite holiday treats that are easy to make. Another option is fruit-dipped chocolate. Any fruit is a great fit, but one of my favorites are strawberries in dipped chocolate. A traditional favorite for Jewish families during Hanukkah is Apricot Gelt. This week ended the 2015 Hanukkah celebrations, and many of my friends celebrated with this tasty treat! All you need is dried apricots and dark chocolate.
- Dried Apricots
- Melted Dark chocolate
Place apricots on parchment paper and let the chocolate harden. You can either place the apricots in a bowl or wrap them in separate pieces foil to serve later.
- You can use any fruit that you like; strawberries are a common choice.
What would Christmas time be without chocolate overload? Another common treat during the holidays is peanut butter crackers dipped in chocolate. To make this a festive treat you can spice it up by adding in crushed peppermint or colorful sprinkles.
Peanut butter crackers dipped in chocolate:
- Make peanut butter crackers or buy some that are already made.
- Dip the crackers in melted chocolate.
- Let the chocolate harden
- Place either crushed peppermint on top or festive sprinkles to decorate them.
An easy recipe that kids will enjoy is pretzel halfway dipped with chocolate. It is a very simple treat to make and inexpensive.
- Dip pretzel sticks into melted chocolate.
- Let chocolate harden
- Decorate the pretzels with sprinkles for a festive look.
- You can use any kind of chocolate that you would like.
- Because of their size, pretzels are a great choice for bulk quantity at large holiday parties.