Fall Into Apple Delight!
It’s fall! Leaves are changing colors and the weather is getting cooler. That means one thing – apples are ripe. When I was young, fall meant trips to the farm to pick out our own pumpkins and apples. Those were times full of fun and nostalgia. I think that my love of apples comes from those trips. I have always loved apple pie but recently I discovered a new delicious way to enjoy apples that also satisfies my sweet tooth: apple cake! Apple cake is easy to make and it’s a perfect recipe to make with your kids!
What you will need:
1 ¾ cups of sugar
2 heaping teaspoons of cinnamon
½ cup of oil
2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking soda
First mix the sugar, oil, cinnamon, and eggs in a large bowl to create sugar coating. Next peel and slice the apples. Add the apples to the mix as you go to keep them from browning. Mix the baking soda and flour and add this to sugar apple mixture. Mix well until all flour is absorbed. Pour mixture into greased 9×13 or two 9 inch pans. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until apple cake is golden brown.
Now you not only have a delicious dessert, but your house smells amazing! Grab some vanilla ice cream and enjoy your warm, gooey apple cake.
- Add something extra like nuts or dried fruit to spice up this recipe! I added craisins to my apple cake!
- You can also use apple pie filling instead of apples if you are on the go.
- For a different approach to the traditional recipe, try grating the apples instead of slicing them.
- To sweeten the treat, add caramel to the apple mix or drizzle it on top after baking.
- For a glutton free option, just use glutton free flour.
On a time crunch? With a few simple adjustments this recipe can be cooked in the microwave in for only 30 seconds! Just take out the eggs and add 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed and six tablespoons of water. Be sure and use a microwave safe dish!