Refrigerator Repair in Memphis
Appliance Repair in Memphis, Medon, & Gallaway
The refrigerator is one of the greatest inventions of the modern era. The very first cooling systems involved using ice for cooling, and the first use of artificial refrigeration in the home happened in the early 20th century.
If your refrigerator isn’t cooling properly, call us at (901) 466-2026 as soon as possible!
Common Refrigerator Issues
Most refrigerators last anywhere from 10 to 18 years. If your fridge is getting a little old, you may experience some issues with your unit. If you notice any of the following issues, it may be time to call an appliance repair professional from Mr. Appliance of Memphis:
- Water leaks: Your fridge should not be leaking. A pool of water coming from your fridge is an immediate issue that could indicate a blocked defrost drain or clogged or frozen water supply.
- The freezer isn’t cold enough: If the freezer isn’t as cold as it should be, your food could go bad a lot quicker than usual. This problem could be an issue with the freezer evaporator fan or your condenser coils.
- Unit cycles too often: If your fridge is making too much noise too often, this could indicate a problem with your condenser coils, or your temperature could be set too low.
- The fresh food compartment is too warm: If your fresh food compartment is warmer than usual, this means the air from your freezer isn’t traveling to the fresh food compartment. Your evaporator fan or your diffuser could cause this issue.
- A sheet of ice on the bottom of the freezer: Ice shouldn’t be building up enough in your freezer to create a solid layer on the bottom of your freezer. Water that should be draining from your defrost drain is ending up on your freezer floor, which could indicate a blockage.
- The fridge is freezing your food: If the food in your fridge is freezing, this means the temperature control thermostat might be malfunctioning.
- Your ice maker is overflowing: Overflowing ice could be an issue with the water inlet valve. If the water pressure in the valve is too low, it might not close when the power shuts off, which causes leaks into the ice maker.
- Too much frost in the ice dispenser: This type of issue is usually caused by a malformed or dirty damper door, which either needs to be cleaned or replaced.
- Your water dispenser isn’t working: Several issues could cause this problem, such as the water tube in the door freezing, a faulty water inlet valve, or insufficient water pressure in your home.
- Your food is too warm: If you notice your fridge isn’t cold enough, your food could begin to rot more quickly. This problem is probably the most pressing, and you need to take care of it as soon as possible.
What Temperature Should My Refrigerator Be?
Your fridge should be at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)v. Refrigeration isn’t just convenient but a health necessity. Keeping food at the right temperature prevents food-borne illnesses caused by bacteria such as Salmonella,E. coli, and C. botulinum. Bacteria can cause severe sickness and even death in some cases.
Cleaning Your Refrigerator
You can solve many common refrigerator issues by giving your fridge a good clean. Dust can be a massive issue in the day-to-day function of your fridge, especially since many people don’t consider cleaning the outside of their unit to be a top priority. Giving your refrigerator a good once-over should be a chore you handle once every six months or so. Not only will it help your unit run more efficiently and save you money, but it will also extend the life of your fridge.
When cleaning your fridge, make sure to keep these tips in mind:
- Use natural cleaning products, such as cleaners with natural citrus oils instead of harsher kitchen cleaning chemicals. Harsher products shouldn’t come into contact with your food, directly or indirectly, including chemicals like bleach.
- Remove all food before starting, taking this opportunity to throw out any expired or moldy leftovers or products.
- Take out all removable parts and clean them with warm water and dish soap. You can leave these parts to soak if you have a large basin to put them in.
- Clean any spills immediately as they happen. Cleaning spills will help prevent Listeria growth and prevent bacteria from spreading from one food to another.
Here’s a good video from our Mr. Appliance YouTube channel with some additional excellent tips for keeping your refrigerator clean.
Call Mr. Appliance for Any Refrigerator Repair Issues
If cleaning your refrigerator, or any other DIY tips haven’t solved your problem, it might be time to call an appliance repair professional. For skilled and efficient refrigerator repair in Memphis, give us a call. Our technicians are friendly and knowledgeable, and Mr. Appliance of Memphis offers upfront pricing in our estimates, so there are no hidden fees or overtime charges. Check out our customer reviews for more information about our quality of service or visit our special offers page for our current coupons!
We also offer commercial appliance repair, if your commercial kitchen refrigerator or walk-in freezer needs repair or maintenance.
Ready to get started? Call us at (901) 466-2026 or contact us online to schedule a service today! We serve Memphis, Medon, Gallaway and more!