Cooking for Mom
There’s just something about Mom. Moms are truly extraordinary people that may not always receive enough appreciation for all that they do. That’s why Mother’s Day is the perfect time to show all the moms in your life just how special they really are.
Since Mom is always the one to do the family’s cooking, give her a break this Mother’s Day and cook for her instead! Start her day with a delightful breakfast or brunch in bed and end the day with a special treat.
Breakfast in Bed
Pamper Mom with breakfast in bed. Arrange everything on a pretty tray and for a special something extra, add a small vase of flowers to bring a smile to her face!
For breakfast, make Mom something special, whether it’s homemade cinnamon rolls, French toast, croissants, breakfast potatoes, muffins, pancakes, scones, frittatas or anything else she likes. If you want to try something new, give this breakfast crepe a whirl.
• 1½ cups milk
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup flour
• ¼ tsp salt
• 1 tbsp oil
- Combine the milk and eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Add in the flour, salt and oil. Whisk until smooth.
- Lightly grease a 6-inch skillet.
- Spoon ¼ cup batter into skillet.
- Tilt the pan around to spread batter.
- Put over medium heat and cook for 1-2 minutes or until bottom is browned.
- Flip the crepe carefully with fingers or using a spatula.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Next you can add any toppings Mom likes– whipped cream cheese, powdered sugar, hazelnut spread, fruit, whipped cream or anything else!
Later in the day, satisfy Mom’s sweet tooth by treating her to a special Mother’s Day dessert! This sweet strawberry shortcake recipe is sure to be a hit.
• 1½ pounds sliced strawberries
• 5 tbsp sugar
• 2 cups flour
• 2 tsp baking powder
• ¼ tsp baking soda
• 2 tbsp sugar
• ¾ tsp salt
• 1 ½ cups heavy cream
• Whipped cream
- Mix strawberries with 3 tablespoons sugar. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400* F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add heavy cream and mix until combined.
- Place mixture in an ungreased square pan and bake 18-20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove the shortcake from the pan and allow it to cool partially.
- Slice cake in half, making two layers. Place half of the strawberries one of the layers, then place the other layer back on top.
- Top with remaining strawberries and whipped cream.