Black-Eyed Peas' Perfect Companion: Green Bean Casserole with a Twist
Our intern Alex simply loves green bean casserole. He requests it as a main dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New Year’s Day meal! He shared his secret twist on this classic recipe with us, and claims it’s the perfect pair for your good luck-filled, black-eyed peas!
During the holidays, you may feel pressure to find a new and exotic dish you can share with your family this year. Why not take a classic recipe up a notch with a trick that’s been part of my family’s holiday meals for years? One of my favorite dishes to pair with turkey, ham or black-eyed peas is green bean casserole. It is an easy dish to make, and the secret to making it memorable is adding two doses of French fried onions.
Here is What You Need:
2 cans of French style green beans Drained
1 can of cream of mushroom
2 cans of French fried onions
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix green beans and cream of mushroom in a casserole dish.
- Use a dash of salt and pepper.
- Here’s the secret! Mix about ¼ of the French fried onions in before you bake. It adds that extra flavor!
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the rest of the French fried onions on top and bake another 5 minutes.
- Serves about 4.
- Trying to get a jump start on meal preparation? Cook the casserole the night before and put it in the fridge. Then, re-heat it in the oven when you are ready to serve.
- Make sure to make two if a lot of people are coming! This tasty dish will go fast!
- This is also a perfect dish for dressing up any winter dinner.