Reduce. Reuse. Upcycle.
Break free of the circle and follow the arrows to sustainable cleaning. Save money and fresh air this season by spring cleaning your household with products you can find behind milk cartons and spaghetti boxes. No need to make a special trip to the store, discover cleaning goods within your home that can transform your kitchen from the winter blues to the bright white of spring. Instead of recycling a used lemon wedge in compost, upcycle the acidic slice for a fresh and natural cleaner to help make your kitchen sparkle like season.
- Freshen Up. Eliminate odors by pouring vanilla extract into a bowl and wipe down refrigerator walls with a paper towel.
- Beyond the shelves. Clean condenser coils located behind the fridge with a brush or handheld vacuum to remove dirt, dust and pet hair.
- Cool it down. Place a handful of ice cubes and citrus peels in garbage disposal, turn on cold water and then the disposal for 15-30 seconds. After turning off disposal continue to rinse with hot water for 15 more seconds.
- Wash away. Remove stuck-on food residue by running an empty dishwasher with a cup of white vinegar.
- Mix it up. Wipe interior microwave surfaces with a mixture of two tablespoons baking soda and one quart water to remove food stains.
- Bright white. Use a sponge with a mixture of ½ cup bleach, ¼ cup baking soda and four cups warm water to avoid yellowing of white appliances. Let it set for 10 minutes before rinsing and drying.