Our intern Ashley absolutely loves red white and blue strawberry shortcake. She says it’s the perfect compliment to any firework display when the Fourth of July festivities begin to unwind as the day comes to a close. She shared her secret with a patriotic surprise and asserts it’s the perfect sweet treat for your Fourth of July celebration.
This Fourth of July surprise your family with spectacular deserts that makes them awe at something other than the fireworks. What better way to enjoy a shortcake recipe than with a patriotic twist? This dessert pairs perfectly with a 4th of July cookout dinner with friends and family. The best part is it’s easy to make.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 pint blueberries, rinsed and drained2 pints fresh strawberries, rinsed and sliced
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, rinsed and sliced
Prepare cake according to the instructions listed on the package and bake in a 9x13 inch pan. After baking cool the cake completely before frosting. Next, frost the cake with thawed whipped topping. Then, blueberries should be placed in a square in the left hand corner. The strawberries should then be arranged to resemble the stripes on the American flag. Keep cool until serving.
- Spray nonstick cooking oil to the bottom of the pan before baking cake mix. This will make serving much easier.
- If having more than six guests it’s a good idea to make more than one cake.
- Be sure to purchase all ingredients listed on the cake mix package that were not listed above.