By Maggie Saint John
While growing up, fall time in my home always meant our house was filled with smells of nutmeg, cinnamon and pumpkin. Since I was young, my mom has always made the most delicious, homemade pumpkin bread. Hopping off the bus every Friday afternoon, I ran threw the back door to find my mom in our kitchen and the pumpkin bread in the oven. This is home. This is fall.
There are few recipes that can evoke as much nostalgia of the cozy and warm days of fall than pumpkin bread. This pumpkin bread recipe is easy to make, everyone loves it and it's perfect for any fall occasion.
3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
16 ounces canned unsweetened pumpkin
3 ½ cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon cloves
2/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour 2 9X5 loaf pans.
- Stir sugar and oil.
- Stir eggs and pumpkin in.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Blend dry ingredients and water into wet mixture, alternating.
- Divide the batter between the two loaf pans.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips and Tricks
- Instead of dividing the batter in two separate loaves, pour the batter into the muffin tins.
- Have a sweet tooth? Add a cream cheese spread on top for extra flavor!