By Endia Turney
I have a confession. Sometimes I neglect my appliances or use harsh products on them because they won’t get as clean as I want them to. Well, I did. I don’t anymore.
I used to always see my mom doing her spring cleaning and slaving over the kitchen appliances, trying her very best to get them as clean as possible. From then on, this thing they call spring cleaning was on my honey-do list – except I didn’t have a honey to do it for me. I figured there had to be a better way.
Well, there is! Instead of using a bunch of harsh chemicals to force your stubborn appliances into cleanliness, try using something we all probably have around our homes: vinegar.
Vinegar is a more natural and inexpensive way to clean your appliances. It makes cleaning so much easier on you and your appliances.
Cleaning Your Dishwasher:
1. Wipe your dishwasher down to remove excess food or grime.
2. Fill a glass or mug with vinegar and place it in the top rack of your empty dishwasher.
3. Run the dishwasher through a full cycle.
4. When it’s finished, wipe the dishwasher again with a clean cloth.
*If there is any grime left over, use a sponge and straight white vinegar to scrub it away.
Cleaning Your Oven:
1. Mix 1/4 cup of powdered laundry detergent and 1 cup of white vinegar into a paste.
2. Heat your oven for about five minutes at 180 degrees, then turn it off.
3. Spread the paste around your oven, applying it heavier in places with more grease.
4. Leave the paste on for an hour, then use a spatula to lightly scrape the grime away.
*You can prevent build-up from happening in the future by dipping a sponge in full-strength white vinegar and wiping down the entire oven.
Cleaning Your Microwave:
1. Place a bowl filled with a mix of 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 1 cup of water in the center of the microwave.
2. Heat the mixture for five minutes on the highest setting.
3. Once the bowl has cooled down, dip a cloth into the liquid and use it to wipe away stains and splatters in the microwave.
Deeply cleaning our appliances may not be the most fun thing in the world, but it helps to find a method that makes the job that much easier. My mother definitely appreciates it, as do I!