Mama's Baked Mac 'n' Cheese
Thanksgiving Day is filled love, laughter and the aroma of your family’s favorite dishes being whipped up in the kitchen. Of all the amazing Thanksgiving side dishes out there, my absolute favorite is macaroni and cheese. It’s so simple that anyone can make, but can also be altered to create a heightened version.
I believe homemade beats box-made every time, and even though we often choose the simpler route (guilty!), making it at home can be just as simple. For me, the feeling that comes with making a beautiful dish from scratch and serving it on a special occasion is completely worth it. Not everybody’s macaroni and cheese is going to be exactly the same, but it’s always delicious!
This baked macaroni and cheese recipe is a favorite of mine. It serves about eight hungry tummies and will have your family and friends thanking you for months to come.
- 1 (8-ounce) package of elbow macaroni
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of onion salt
- 2 (10-ounce) blocks of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 4-1/2 cups) and divided
- 1 cup of soft breadcrumbs (about four slices with the crusts removed)
- 1/4 cup of melted butter or margarine
- 1 Quart jar
- 13-by-9-inch baking dish (you can choose to use two 11-inch oval baking dishes, also)
What you’ll do:
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions, then drain it and set it aside.
- Place the milk, flour, and onion salt in a quart jar, cover it tightly, and shake it vigorously for one minute.
- Stir the flour mixture, 3-1/2 cups of the cheese you shredded, and the macaroni together.
- Pour the macaroni mixture into a lightly-greased 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle it evenly with the bread crumbs and remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Drizzle it evenly with melted butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes or until it’s golden brown.
- Remove it from the oven, let it cool a bit, and enjoy!
This makes a perfect side dish, but you can also turn this into a hearty main dish. Try stirring in chopped, cooked ham before baking, and then sprinkle chopped, cooked bacon on top before serving!
I love this dish straight out of the oven, but it tastes great as leftovers, as well. I like to cover it and place it in the fridge for a tasty snack or small lunch the next day. Enjoy!