Summer’s here and it’s time for outside get togethers with friends and family. Planning an event can be hard, but take our advice to avoid outdoor entertaining mistakes. You certainly don’t want to sacrifice your summertime outdoor lifestyle because of a few preventable mishaps.
- Watch your weather forecast and be careful to not have your event at the hottest time of the day. Plan for rain, whether it’s bringing it indoors or arranging a tent or canopy to shelter your guests. You can take some simple precautions to make sure your celebration can continue no matter what happens. Don’t let your party be blown away, use decorative anchors to keep everything in place.
- Ask your guests to formally RSVP with the number of people they are bringing so you can be sure to have more than enough food and drinks. Having more food is better than not enough and you can send leftovers home with guests. Have enough seats for everyone to sit down and a couple extras just in case.
- Allergies, vegetarians, gluten-free, sugar-free, vegans are only some of the things you can run into, so make sure you have dishes that accommodate to your guests’ special diets. Check out these vegetarian BBQ recipes for ideas and this sugar-free chocolate ice cream that’s perfect for a hot day.
- Let everyone know where to find the bathrooms, and try to have more than one available to avoid a wait. Having multiple trash cans can make clean-up easier and prevent you from having to replace trash bags often.
- Make the playlist long enough to not replay the same songs, include classics that everyone will enjoy. Consider asking guests for requests before the party so you include everyone’s favorites. Make sure to keep the volume down to not disturb neighbors or guests’ conversation.
- Don’t cramp your guests in a tiny space filled with tables and chairs. Space it out so they have room to breathe and converse comfortably. If your activities are planned for after sunset, make sure to have appropriate lighting to keep your guests from falling in the dark.
- Your guests’ comfort is of upmost importance. DIY hand fans are easy to make with decorative paper plates, tongue depressors and a glue gun. Keep flies away with jars filled with water and pennies.
- If the kids are unhappy, everyone is unhappy. Try these DIY backyard games to keep the kids amused, http://www.listotic.com/32-best-diy-backyard-games/.
With these helpful tips, you can enjoy your outside activities without the dreaded don’ts that can get in the way.