Christmas really is the most wonderful time of the year. And in my home, it’s a time when the kitchen is always stirring. My mom loves when everyone comes home for the holidays and she really enjoys cooking our favorite dishes for every meal. One of her favorite dishes to make for Christmas dinner is beef wellington. I’m not sure why this particular meal was originally chosen, but no one in our family has ever complained. Even our dog gets his own serving of it!
My mom prefers to prepare individual beef wellingtons for the family and I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Ingredients (Serves 6):
- 1 lb. Fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 48 oz. beef tenderloin
- 17 1/2 oz. frozen pastry puff sheets (thawed)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the mushrooms, onion, sherry, butter or margarine and parsley and sauté until all the liquid is absorbed and the mixture resembles a paste. Cover the top of each steak with the mixture.
3. Partially thaw the puff pastry sheets and roll out pieces thin enough to cover the top, sides and bottom of each steak. Place the steaks on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until serving time.
4. Bake steaks uncovered in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. They will be rare but will continue cooking while dish is sitting.
Tips and Tricks:
- This dish pairs perfectly with twice-baked potatoes.
- Heat your baking pan or cookie sheet before putting the wellingtons on to prevent them from becoming soggy.
- Use the leftover pastry and cut out Christmas shapes using a cookie cutter to top the wellingtons.