Spring Saturdays are my favorite. I love sleeping in and waking up to the bright, seasonal light that shines through my curtains. There is something sweeter about making breakfast on a Saturday morning than my normal work week. Celebrate the season of new beginnings by incorporating fresh fruit with energy-packed carbs to get you through your weekend of errands, or just relaxing in the springtime sun.
Whole-Grain Berry Muffins
- 1 1/4 c whole-wheat flour
- 1 c old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 c flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 c plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 c packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp. grated orange zest, plus 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 c fresh blueberries
- 1 c fresh blackberries
- Heat oven to 375° F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. In a food processor, process the flour, oats, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt until finely ground.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, butter, orange zest and juice, egg, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated (do not overmix). Fold in the berries.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 22 to 25 minutes.
Recipe from RealSimple.com.