As the weather begins to warm up, I love having family and friends over for dinner. Sometimes the stress of grocery shopping, decorating the table and prepping the meal can be dinner-overload. As a moving gift, my mom sent me this lasagna recipe from Martha Stewart that Trey and my neighbors absolutely loved. Paired with pesto and gruyere bruschetta as an inviting appetizer, this one-dish meal is sure to please your guests and your schedule too.
Sausage, Spinach and Lemon Lasagna
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 3 c whole milk
- 1 c finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 4 ounces)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 c coarsely chopped spinach
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 lemon, very thinly sliced
- 6 no-boil lasagna noodles
- Melt butter in a saucepan over high heat. Stir in flour; cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat. Simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Whisk in 3/4 cup cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in spinach.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook sausage in a skillet over high heat, breaking up pieces, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Cover lemon slices with cold water by 3 inches in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate using a slotted spoon.
- Spread 1/4 cup sauce in an 8-inch square nonreactive baking dish. Top with 2 noodles, half the sausage, and 1 cup sauce. Repeat. Top with a layer of lemons, 2 noodles, then remaining sauce and lemons. Bake, covered with parchment-lined foil, for 27 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Heat broiler. Uncover lasagna; top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Broil until bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes.
Recipe from MarthaStewart.com.
Spring Pesto & Gruyere Bruschetta
- 1 Baguette
- 1 block of gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 c cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Slice baguette into 1 inch slices. Place cheese slices on top of sliced bread and melt cheese in oven for 5-7 minutes.
3. In a food processor, combine basil, garlic, extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt.
4. Once the cheese is melted, remove baguette slices from oven and spoon pesto on top. Finish with tomato slices and a pinch of salt and pepper.