Live, Laugh & Learn with Lillyan: Uncle Jimmy's Cheesecake
Every time I have the opportunity to use my electric stand mixer, I get a little giddy. There’s just something about standing next to a machine that knows how to really blend butter. One of my bon appetit role models in my life is my Uncle Jimmy. He taught me key kitchen lessons, including how to entertain with bruschetta and in every social situation to always ask for a glass of chardonnay. The first time I tried his apricot cheesecake, I felt like I graduated from culinary college and realized I needed to attend his graduate of decadent desserts. The best part? Stand mixer required.
Uncle Jimmy’s Apricot Cheesecake
• ½ c peach nectar
• 1 package unflavored gelatin
• 1 can apricot pie filling
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 tsp almond extract
• 2 8-oz. packages cream cheese, softened to room temperature
• 1 can sweetened condensed milk
• Juice of one lemon
• 2 graham cracker pie crusts
1. Pour peach nectar in a medium-sized saucepan and sprinkle gelatin evenly
over the surface of the juice. Do not stir. Let stand for 5 or 6 minutes.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, milk, vanilla extract, almond extract and lemon juice. Heat gelatin mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin is fully dissolved. Simmer for three minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. In a separate bowl, combine pie filling and gelatin/fruit juice mixture. Immediately stir the cream cheese mixture into pie filling mixture until thoroughly combined. Pour ½ in each pie crust and refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.
4. Spread a thin layer of whipped cream over the pie and garnish with sliced apricots.